Trial under consideration after mysterious death of suspected Jamaican cult leader


A lawsuit against the state is now being considered due to the strange circumstances that led to the death of an alleged Jamaican cult leader on Monday, October 25.

Kevin Smith, a flamboyant pastor from Montego Bay who was arrested earlier this month for allegedly performing human sacrifices at his church, died in a car crash on Monday near the Linstead Bypass near Bog Walk, in Sainte -Catherine. A policeman who was in the car with Smith also died while two others were injured.

The incident happened just a day before Smith appeared at Home Circuit Court in Kingston. He was to be questioned about the murder of two members of his congregation, who were killed during a “worship” ritual on Sunday, October 17. One of the victims had his throat cut. A third person died in a shootout when police arrived at the scene. Three other worshipers were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

While Smith’s team of lawyers, led by Queen’s Counsel Valerie Neita Robertson, refrained from discussing the alleged rituals that took place at the church, she raised concerns about the circumstances of his death.

“When we checked with our client at St. James Prison, we were informed that he was no longer in custody. It was the second time that he had been released from our custody and we were not informed. As I went to court, I heard that the vehicle he was being transported in, via Linstead, and not on the highway – in a car instead of the appropriate vehicle – ended up in an accident ”, she declared.

According to Neita-Robertson, the family of the deceased will make a decision on whether to bring a civil action, which will likely center on allegations of state negligence.

Responding to the attorney’s claims, Dennis Brooks, senior communications strategist at JCF, said there was nothing wrong with Smith’s transfer.

“The [Director of Public Prosecutions] The DPP filed a voluntary indictment to be prosecuted in Home Circuit Court. In that regard, our job was to bring it to Kingston. He would not have been charged by St. James Parish Court after the DPP office moved, ”Brooks said. He added that all protocols were followed regarding Smith’s transfer.

In the incident which led to his arrest, Smith, who called himself a “prophet of the nations”, warned his supporters of an impending “flood” and asked them not to take their cell phones to church. the evening of October 17. – which was a day of no movement for the island. He told his disciples that they were preparing to board an ark and that those who were considered “unclean” would see their blood shed.

After seeing a church member killed, a member of the congregation left and called the police.

“We were concerned that some form of ritualized murder was taking place, so we made an entry. We found that there were a few people who had been injured. We have seen cult-like behavior and configuration, ”said Police Commissioner Major Antony Anderson.

A total of 144 residents attended the ceremony that evening. Fourteen children and 31 women were also part of the congregation. Smith was the head of Kingdom Restoration Ministries at Pathways International in Montego Bay, St. James.

According to reports, Smith had hundreds of followers in Montego Bay and had raised up to $ 1 million a week from the congregation, which he used to buy property, cars and other assets. At the scene, police found dozens of potential victims, including naked men and animals, who had been lined up for sacrifice.

Director of Public Prosecutions Paula Llewellyn also revealed that the controversial pastor has a criminal record. In 2007, he was convicted in Canada for sexually assaulting a 21-year-old man. He spent six months in prison and received two months of discretionary probation.

Smith’s accomplice Andre Ruddock, who allegedly participated in the rituals, now faces murder and intentional injury charges. He survived the crash that claimed Smith’s life.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.